Video has become a powerful marketing tool. Perhaps the most compelling reason why you need a YouTube channel for your practice is the fact that youtube is the #2 search engine in the world, behind Google! People routinely search youtube to learn how to do just about anything, including how to take better care of their teeth.
Technology has made it very easy to record your own videos and post them on your website as well as on youtube. While you do not need to produce ‘Disney-quality’ videos, you do want to produce content that represents your practice in a professional manner. Here are some production tips. Consider a simple, high definition flip video camera such as the Kodak Zi8. I happen to favor this camera since it has an external microphone port that you can plug in a microphone for better sound quality. While the Kodak Zi8 is a discontinued model, you can readily find it online. Price is $200-300. Mount it on a tripod to ensure a stable image. You may want to consider some simple, professional lighting to enhance the production value. A good source of lighting and other equipment is www.bhphotovideo.com Keep your videos short. No more than 3 minutes in length. One more production tip, keep the videos casual and friendly!
Here is a list of 10 potential topics that would make excellent YouTube videos:
- Short video tour of your office
- Video explaining the three types of whitening options; in-office, take home tray, over-the-counter
- Interesting brushing & flossing instructions
- Video introducing your team members
- Discussion of the benefits of custom mouthguards for contact sports
- Video explaining the connection between oral & systemic health
- Video highlighting any technology that makes your practice unique, such as Cerec or Laser
- Discussion of sedation options available in your office so that every visit can be a comfortable experience
- Video discussing cosmetic dental options available in your practice
- Video showing home care products you recommend (ie: Sonicare or Oral B toothbrush or Irrigation devices)
You get the idea. Schedule a brainstorming session with your team members and come up with additional topics that would be of interest to the general public. People are very interested in topics related to improving their health today. By providing these videos, you will be educating your patients as well as potential patients and also enhancing your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) since youtube is such a popular search engine. In addition to posting these videos on your own YouTube channel, be sure and also post them on your website. Have fun with this project! Keep Smiling!