In this Thriving Dentist episode, Naren & Gary share insights on what successful DSOs do, and how you can go about building one of your own, or, take these concepts and apply them in your own practice!
Subscribe To Our Podcast
There are many successful practice models you can find in dentistry today. solo practice, multi-owner/associate practice, multi-office practice groups are some to name a few.
Expanding your practice to add on an associate or another practice location is a great way to create financial independence and grow your practice.
Today, the term “DSO” holds a negative light among dentists. However, there are great DSOs out there. Even if the thought of building a DSO isn’t on your radar any time soon, you can learn a lot by doing the things that successful DSOs do!
Listen to the episode to find out how to successfully build a DSO!
Thriving Dentist Clinical Tips Segment
- 00:03:15 – Clinical Tip by Markus B. Blatz, DMD, Ph.D. on “Bonding to Zirconia”
- 00:07:01 – Gary busts a myth about DSO’s
- 00:08:42 – What are the different kinds of formats and flavors of DSO’s?
- 00:13:43 – The 6 goals your practice needs to achieve if it’s fine-tuned.
- 00:16:19 – Gary talks about the investment community
- 00:16:58 – The difference between venture capital and private Equity
- 00:20:15 – What is a practice worth when a doctor goes to sell that practice?
- 00:23:10 – How is the valuation model different when you sell your practice to a DSO?
- 00:25:00 – What is the acronym EBITDA?
- 00:32:57 – Question 1 – Gary, I know that in the last few years, Private Equity has been very interested in Dentistry. Do you see that changing in the post-COVID 19 world?
- 00:36:44 – Question 2 – How many locations do I need to qualify for the higher valuations that I see in selling a DSO to a Private Equity Firm?
- 00:39:13 – Question 3 – When would it make sense to create an administrative support Team to provide business and admin support to my locations?
- 00:43:56 – Question 4 – Are banks willing to finance the purchase of future practices in my DSO?
- 00:47:36 – Question 5 – What is the biggest challenge in building a successful DSO?
As a dental practice coach, Gary provides guidance for dental professionals on how to create a healthier practice style that lets them deliver excellent patient care while reducing depending on insurance.
More importantly, Gary’s insights are not just based on theory – as a co-owner of a dental practice, he has first-hand experience in making this transformation from a high-volume and low-fee insurance model to a fee-for-service approach that is more sustainable and promotes a patient-centric and financially healthy dental practice, and he is dedicated to sharing this knowledge with other dental practitioners via the popular Thriving Dentist Show!