The misuse of and addiction to opioids (including prescription pain relievers, heroin and synthetic opioids such as fentanyl) is a serious crisis. Each day, 115 Americans die after overdosing on opioids.
This is a public health crisis with major consequences. To discuss the dental connection to the opioid crisis, Gary invited his friend, Leslie Fang MD as his guest on this Thriving Dentist Show.
Running time: 68:33
In this show, Gary and Les discuss;
- The staggering statistics of the opioid crisis including the fact that 21-30% of patients prescribed opioids for pain management abuse them,
- the new ADA Guidelines on Substance Abuse Disorder and the trend for many State Dental Boards to now require mandatory CE on pharmacology,
- your potential liability and how to remain compliant,
- specific tips regarding pain management for your patients without narcotics,
- the physiology of opioid dependence,
- Dr. Fang’s online course that conforms to the ADA Policy on opioids,
- his ‘Ultimate Cheat Sheets’ which have been recognized as the ‘Educational Product of the Year’ by Clinicians’ Report every year from 2007-2015 and has now been awarded Classic Status by Clinicians’ Report.
The best part of this interview is Dr. Fang’s entertaining and engaging style. He has the distinct ability to make pharmacology and other medical topics very interesting! You will enjoy this interview!
Links for the ‘Let’s Ask David’ segment with Dr. David Hornbrook:
Link to the Online Course by Dr. Fang:
‘The New ADA Policy on Opioid Prescriptions’ (a course designed specifically for Dentists). Included in this Course is the award-winning ‘Ultimate Cheat Sheets’:
Link to DOCS Education (Dr. Fang is a Leading Instructor):
Podcast Assistance by Jodey Smith, Rodecaster Expert Category: Clinical