DSO’s (Dental Service Organizations) are the fastest growing segment in dentistry today. It is common today for Dentists to be approached by DSO’s looking to acquire more practices.
In this Thriving Dentist Show, Gary invited his friend Dr. Nezar Kassem to share his story about why Nezar, as a mid-career Dentist, decided to sell his practice to a DSO.
In this interview, Gary and Nezar discuss;
- Nezar’s story of successfully starting a practice from scratch in 2002,
- the joys that Nezar experienced in his practice and the challenges he has experienced as well,
- Nezar’s desire to find a better balance in his life,
- how he actually sought out the right DSO and approached them about the possibility of purchasing his practice,
- the general criteria that DSO’s are looking for when making an acquisition,
- how Nezar’s practice was appealing to a DSO even though he was slightly outside of their ideal criteria,
- the challenge that Nezar was experiencing with his facility,
- the full details of his sale,
- what to look for when considering the right DSO,
- Nezar’s arrangement to stay on as the Dentist after the sale and why this made sense for Nezar
- and throughout the interview Gary and Nezar discuss how to determine if selling to a DSO might be a good strategy for you.
Selling a practice is a very personal decision and it’s Gary’s hope that this interview will provide you with the information that will help you determine if selling to a DSO makes sense for you.
Links for ‘Top Clinical Tips; with Dr. Lee Ann Brady:
Restorative Nation Website:
Website for Gary’s New ‘Less Insurance Dependence’ podcast:
Link to the Less Insurance Dependence Podcast:
Link to Elite Dental Partners (the DSO that purchased Nezar’s practice):
Email Address for Nezar Kassem:
As a dental practice coach, Gary provides guidance for dental professionals on how to create a healthier practice style that lets them deliver excellent patient care while reducing depending on insurance.
More importantly, Gary’s insights are not just based on theory – as a co-owner of a dental practice, he has first-hand experience in making this transformation from a high-volume and low-fee insurance model to a fee-for-service approach that is more sustainable and promotes a patient-centric and financially healthy dental practice, and he is dedicated to sharing this knowledge with other dental practitioners via the popular Thriving Dentist Show!